Thursday, May 28, 2009

Summer Has Arrived


Yes, the thermometer was accurate when it read 126 degrees. I took this picture while driving from Camp Virginia to Ali Al Salem AFB. We are far enough inland that we do not get any cooling effect from the water like they do in Kuwait City; hence it is usually about 15-20 degrees warmer here than it is there. True, there isn't as much humidity as in Milton for instance, but it is still the most oppressive heat I've ever experienced. Even at 6 am it is so hot I break into a sweat walking the 100 yards between the shower trailer and my room.

Still, I don't have it too bad. The air conditioning in my room works well enough. I'm on my third unit now, the previous two having died under the strain, but I have to say the Army has moved pretty quickly when it has broken down. And our office air conditioner keeps up well enough most of the time too.

Nevertheless I have to wonder why anyone would choose to live in this. Hopefully your summers are a little cooler!

6 comments:

  1. Thank goodness they replace em fast! HUh?
    You would wilt away in no time flat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh keep us posted love reading about your adventure over there. Take care and be careful love you Aunt Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great that the Army provides you with a Hummer with the tempeture readout so you can know just exactly how miserable it is there?
    Love ya, Josh, be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats why they call that region "The Birthplace of Civilization" instead of "The Resort place of Civilization." Civilization might have been born there, but by the time civilization was old enough to get out, all the civilized people left that hot, dusty desert.
    No wonder these people blow themselves up, Hell can't be any hotter, and there is a chance that heaven has air conditioning. Heaven or Hell, it doesn't matter. Its a win win situation.

    ~Jonny

    ReplyDelete