Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 4: San Diego Whale Watching Cruise











Saturday was a day of adventure. We were off on a Whale watching cruise. Yes, of course, we forgot our binoculars, but we got to see plenty I guess. The city of San Diego, as we cruised out of the Harbor, was beautiful. In the morning it was hazy. But afternoon as we came back was spectacular, with sail boats every where joyriding out to the sea. We passed the double dome building where Josh works at on the Navy base. There were sea lions on the big buoys, and sea turtles and birds. Very awesome. The sea were 2-3 feet inland, and 3-4 feet out land. They announced over the loud speaker and they have some of the seasickness medicine at the snack bar if you feel you will need it. I comment to Bill that he better get some cause he is prone to seasickness, but he told me they were just trying to make money! "OK," I said.... We got a ways out to sea, and it hit him! After about 45 minutes, we saw the first whale spouts. I never did get a good picture of any of them, and they were always way across the way, so by the time we got to them, there was no whale to be seen. They man standing beside me the whole time had binoculars - with a built-in camera and gave a nice commentary on what he was seeing . So he got some good views and pictures, but oh welll.. or should I say "oh, whale!" LOL! I did get a few good shots of some dolphins who were swimming along side of us. The guy who was commentating on the loud speaker said it was quite rare for these dolphins to get up by the boats like that, but I felt a bit doubtful as I know our dolphins here on the Gulf Coast absolutely love swimming along side of the boats!! But these dolphins did look a bit different and were a lot smaller, so I guess I will give him the benefit of the doubt. In the end, I found Deborah and Bill hanging out being seasick together, but neither really were very bad off, thankfully!! Most of the kids were asleep and Josh was watching them. It was fun tho!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment