Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Popular Mechanics August 2009 Article


Popular Mechanics published an article in this month's magazine with a story about my Task Force. The writer came here a few months ago and followed us all around a little bit. I think I actually flew the crew around one day. But I have flown probably a dozen media crews around and I can't remember for sure if I flew this one. But I digress. They followed a mission that was going on at the time. None of our Blackhawks participated in the published story, but it gives a pretty good idea what we do. Its a pretty good article with pictures of my commander and a couple friends of mine. I only take issue with two minor thing in the article: The article reports that we (the Blackhawks) didn't participate in that mission because we didn't have enough power in our Hawks to operate in this environment. That is rubbish. We have been doing in for months. The truth is we didn't participate in that particular mission because they had to move like 100 people. We can carry like 10 people and the Chinooks can carry like 30. The article reports that they used 4 Chinooks, meaning simply that they needed more space for passengers. But of course, you can't blame the reporter. I'm sure he got that ludacris idea from an uninformed Chinook pilot, probably one with a butt for a head. The other thing that I disagree with is the depiction of Captain Buono as a "stormy" tyrant. She is actually a pretty nice girl, but like most women she is prone to occasional mood swings, that's a woman's prerogative I think...I suspect they just caught her on a bad day. But anyway... Its a good article and it might give you some ideas about what goes on over here in Salerno on a daily basis. The article can be found in the August 2009 Popular Mechanics if you are interested.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Jon, That is on the top of my reading list. hehehe. No really I will try to find a copy of the magazine. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete